Time is a funny thing. It moves fast and is hard to keep up with. Current technology tends to connect us, but the extent to which this is real is often limited I’ve said before social media is the highlight reel of our lives. No one ever really knows someone’s story unless they are a part of it daily and are bonded to that person in some way. Take me for example—I love social media. I love seeing everyone’s babies, pets, and *gasp* grandbabies (I’m not old enough for that obviously.) I tend not to post the things that aren’t fun, but rather the things I love: my friends, family, husband, life at school, gym selfies. The weird, quirky sometimes sad things, and the dreaded state of our political system come out in the FB/Insta stories or here, where I tend to ramble about things most people don’t care about as much as I feel the need to write about them. That seems to work for me. If people follow, cool. If they don’t, well, I think of it two ways: 1) I don’t give a shit or 2) dude, you’re missing out on the awesomeness that is living life with me. GOSH! 🤣🤣
I recently found myself in the midst of a conversation with an old high school friend who I hadn’t seen in at least 30 years. We’ve spent some time catching up since our reunion back in the fall. It’s someone I could never really get a grasp on and I was genuinely curious about. Interestingly, said friend is a lot more conservative than I, which was a bit surprising, yet shouldn’t be. For the first time in a long time, I’ve wanted to know more. Usually I tend to shut down at the first sign of “imma pray for you” because there’s a litany of trauma there that triggers a fairly visceral reaction on my part. But I thought—maybe this is worth exploring. Maybe I can find a common ground there that could signal that I could trust more than I thought I could.
The current times we are in tends to lead people to this disdain of those not like us. This distrust. The ick. The finger pointing. I am totally guilty of dismissing people. Sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes by default. This is the first time in a very long time that makes me really reflect on the commonalities we share, not the walls that divide us.
I am unapologetic in my lack of faith, A lot of people know that about me. A lot of people pretend that I share their beliefs for whatever reason, and I think that’s just part of being human. It’s hard to understand someone who is pretty far out of what your norm is. Hell, it’s hard for me to understand myself sometimes. That said, the core belief in love of others and the want to help should be something we all share, regardless of whether or not we share the rituals of religion, prayer and doctrine.
If love is a universal thing, the tie that binds us, if you will; then a path to understanding shouldn’t be difficult. If you approach things with that mindset the rest should fall to the wayside. However, in today’s climate, it’s become a conditional thing. Love for everyone has become political and that is probably one of the saddest things I’ve ever witnessed.
Our society has become toxic to the point that I have had to retreat into my known circle of friends and family in an effort to shield myself from the discourse that surrounds us on the daily. I have hidden people on socials, unsubscribed to news outlets and people, and generally do not get past a surface level relationship with anyone who would spend my time fussing over things we have no control over at the moment. I really don’t need that negativity in my life. I am acutely aware of the goings on, but am hesitant to give thought to every “breaking news” post or video, nor do I want it to infiltrate my kids, pets, and fun feeds of the people’s FB.
That said, my curiosity is getting the better of me this week, and I’m happily having these conversations with my old friend. We have not gotten political, thankfully, but we have scratched the surface of how people can be different yet the same. My hope is that in time, I can find it in me to listen more to others and not be so quick to retreat or to assume the worst.
The best quote I heard this weekend kind of went like this, and I’m probably butchering it: “I love people all the time. I don’t always like them, but I try to love them all the time.” Note it wasn’t said that they “love them anyway”. I believe I wrote once about how I’ve been referred to that way before and it crushed me. “Amy is a bleeding heart liberal, but I love her anyway.” The thing I was told this weekend was just love. No conditions.
If we can learn anything from each other, let it be that. No conditions. Love everyone. Leave things better than you found them. Spread some joy (and GLITTER) everywhere you go. If that ain’t what this life is all about, I don’t know what is.
Go forth this week and do some good. Love on somebody. Listen. Spread some sparkles. Look for some glimmers. Get some fresh air.
Love you. Mean it.
No comments:
Post a Comment